St Helens Station Homestead was once at the centre of one of the largest wool-producing stations in New Zealand. The current homestead on the site was built for Frederick Savill, of the Shaw Savill shipping line family, in 1917. The 750 sqm two storey Hurunui limestone building comprises over 30 rooms and sits in park-like grounds laid out over 100 years ago, with several specimen trees and large rhododendrons, a pond and stream system and remnants of the old orchard.
The interior of the homestead was sympathetically restored as a family home in 2013 and its original features preserved. Its antique-filled principal rooms and interesting network of service rooms will be accessible by guided tour by the owners. The rooms house eclectic and diverse contents, from ancient Egyptian artefacts to Victorian taxidermy, Italian statuary, early books, Jacobite mementos, Georgian sterling silver, 17th century textiles, various natural history specimens, interesting 17th and 18th century furniture, and old family portraits.
Turn off SH7A (road into Hanmer Springs) onto Chatterton Road (gravel), St Helens is marked with white gates on the left, 3.4km from turn off. Car park sign posted just past gates.
The interior of the homestead will be accessible only by pre-booked half hour guided tour by the owners, highlighting the interesting and eclectic collections. Tours limited to 12 people, email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.